Friday, April 4, 2008

End Times

We begin our final day with a trip to the Megiddo hill....literally Har-Megiddo in the Bible. Where we get our term Armageddon. The site of the final battle. One of the most interesting things from this site were the six to eight inch millipedes that crawled all over this place.

Revelation 16:13-16 says that the Jezreel Valley is the staging ground for the final battle and at this site you can see the large battlegrounds and staging areas where war will be raged. Historically this site has always existed as a final fighting grounds in a battle for the Israeli nation.
After this we went to the top of Mt. Carmel where Elijah battled the prophets of Baal. There was a really impressive statue of Elijah here from the story of 1 Kings 18-19. Here we are reminded about an important point. Throughout biblical salvific history there is always a promised remnant. A remnant not a majority. We are encouraged not to measure success the way the world does.

Daniel 9 gives specific prophecy that points to the exact date of Christ's coming. This is a powerful apologetic truth and a death blow to open theism.
In what was almost a saving the best for last situation we go to Cesarea along the Mediterranean Sea. There was a theatre which contained a special seat for King Herod. In Acts 12:21 Herod was struck down here. In Acts 10 Peter begins his ministry here. Pilate also lived here. There was a long race track here as well. A lot here. We had some ice cream and went to a series of aqueducts. The Mediterranean Sea was crystal clear.
Our final hotel was in Tel Aviv which was very urban and dark like the cavernous areas of New york. After dinner we had an awards ceremony where I was awarded the "Biggest person to survive Hezekiah's tunnel" award. Tiffany won the "Oh my gosh I'm pregnant" award. She then got a standing ovation. It was a nice moment that I think she deserved and even enjoyed. During the cheering I began to say "Thanks. It was difficult work but rewarding." The lady in front of me was not entertained and she "shooshed" me.

At this hotel I looked out the window at a neighborhood apartment and a guy planting flowers on his terrace. I hoped he would see me and invite me over. It was a human moment...people actually live here. It was a human moment...seeing someone living life. All of our time here was like a disconnect from humanity and I just wanted to talk to someone real- someone who lived here. I was beginning to love this place.

No comments: