Friday, April 4, 2008

I don't think we're in Haifa anymore


At the airport I was quizzed by security and almost failed because I froze under the pressure after only sleeping for an hour. Dr. Wechsler slowed the group by mentioning the tour bags and communion cups we were given. Just in case someone at Gordon's tomb took the two inch tall wooden goblets we were given for communion and laced them with explosives we all had to find them and produce them for security. They also patted down our travel maps. We arrive at the gate where Tiffany and I ate a basil and mozzarella sandwich as we waited. We continued to play Phase 10 with Brooke and Mike and I was dominating this round that is still unfinished. We slept through much of the flight and landed in beautiful Madrid, Espana.

In Madrid we see our second national crisis of the trip when Spanish security would not allow our group to bring in all of the bottles of Dead Sea lotion that they bought duty free at the Tel Aviv airport. These tubes cost hundreds of dollars. People were mad but they don't allow lotion on planes. I feel bad for the people who had stuff taken away, but those are the rules of security. Those are the same rules we fly under in America. They even took my unopened bottles of water that I bought at O'Hare and tried to take through security in Madrid. On a happier note they had a real good potato and cheese sandwich on French bread near our gate.

The flight home was completely smooth with no turbulence. We were thrilled when we found out that our seats on the plane were right next to the Jeffers. We watched the movie Juno, which we loved the three other times we saw it. Alvin and the Chipmunks followed this and was an unfortunate way to end the trip. (Although it was better than the "Nanny Diaries" which was shown on our first flight.)

We landed at O'Hare and came through the doors to see our kids holding balloons and sitting in their stroller. Ben looked so much older at first Tiff and I both did not recognize him. I grabbed him and I held him for what seemed like forever. We were home. We ate Giordano's and slept for days.

I dream about returning with my son and with my friends. I can think of nothing cooler than doing this over again with people from the church. I look back on those two weeks as a team where I needed to act out my trust in God. I know there are many who think of going to Israel and say "I would love to, but isn't it dangerous" or whatever. I hope that no one who can afford to go financially or physically would miss the chance because they don't trust in God's protection. It will change your life. It did mine.

No comments: